Translate

Wednesday, December 18, 2013

From an email to my relatives


From an email to my relatives

            Sunday morning drop biscuits

            First you give your kids some American Indian names, and not some smartalecky type names.  For example we named my daughter XXXX "Strong Quail" which doesn't work well now since she is a senior in high school. I'm lucky to get the time of day these days. Strong Quail worked better a long time ago.

            Then you basically make some kind of Indian pone, like in the movie Jeremiah Johnson.  Many of us have heard of corn pone, and the idea is similar.

            I used my mother's name for the concoction, "drop biscuits", though I have forgotten her recipe. I did add water and powdered milk and mayonnaise to the Loveless Cafe (Nashville, TN) biscuit mix.  Well, I hate to sound like a television  ad, but the biscuits when baked were light and fluffy. I liked them. And I do remember my mother said she did add mayo to the mix.

            There are a bunch of recipes on this cooking idea you can find on the Internet these days, too.

            Now we all probably know XXXX was not well known for cooking, though her mother was a really good cook when I lived in the same house in Franklin, TN as she did. And I do remember in her 70's she told her husband that he had to start eating store bought biscuits as making them from scratch for decades was finally  wearing her down. He did most of the grocery shopping, so at least he got to pick out the store bought biscuits she then cooked or warmed up.

            By the way, she and he still got up before sunrise as they had done all their lives.

            They both died in the late 1970's.

 

No comments: