Translate

Thursday, April 12, 2012

A special time in our American history

Much like waves washing ashore, or the tide ebbing and flowing, we Americans may be approaching a "Rubicon" that will affect us all.

How it all sorts out, I don't know, and have often been wrong in my forecasts in the past, though more about the when...not the if part.

There are two obvious forces coming up that will influence our near term future, like in the next 10 or 20 years.

The obvious one, to me, is the idea of an entitlement society in the USA. Said another way, when the have nots can vote themselves benefits from the haves, then the question comes up, will the haves keep putting out, or do something else?

The other obvious one is what happens when fellow humans quit loaning us money, and we have to live within our means. Said another way, if this happens, which it may happen, then times will get hard during the adjustment period. Now presently our tax means are considerable, but what happens if we have a breakdown, and have to build up from scratch, which I am confident we will do. And this will take time, like a few years probably.

Last, there is a minor "other" obvious one. Suppose mother nature throws us some kind of wild card event. Just how well are we humans in the new world USA able to respond, mostly through our elected governments, by the way.

Now in the recent past, like the last 50 years, I was more confident and comfortable about our collective future than I am now. Hence this is a special time in our American history, to me.

One more last, I have lost trust and faith in many of our institutions that have always done well in our past in our 200 year+ history. Hence, it may be time for a new political party to better represent many Americans than what is happening today through our present political parties.

Even weirdoes like me are worse casing things, and even preparing to live off the land (I have around a square mile). Now that is a silly alternative to me, since I would rather go the grocery store. In other words, I like what we have, already, and will fight and vote for this idea.

But, and again, if this present day silliness doesn't end, mostly thanks to our federal politicians whom we have elected, then I will have to experience " a special time on our American history".

This idea includes just wanting to know the news about fellow human beings. If I wanted opinions, I would rather go to the local Hardees than read other well written opinions that are on the internet these days. The local Hardees opinions are pretty good, too. What is a shame, to me, is that even reading the foreign news about the same events seems to reflect more and more opinions, and not just the news, which is all I seek.

Last, and truly last, an awful lot of fellow Americans are doing a good job in their positions to lead and manage. So "good on 'em", like I want to enhance them, by the vote, mostly. That's part of my hope for my future before I die; again, "in our American history".

No comments: