Translate

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

It is funny about fads

The subject is the various kinds of cars to purchase in 2012.

To me, a Ga Tech geek I guess, I would summarize the choices. There are three, to me.

All choices, alternatives if you will, are to maximize the miles per gallon.

Of course, there is the American way, which is pretty much hybrid, some combination of high tech batteries and simple gas engines.

But there is also the European way, which is pretty much maximize the use of diesel as a fuel.

And last, there is the Japanese way, which is pretty much to maximize the use of gasoline as a fuel.

Only you can decide what is best for you and your Family and quality of life.

Now I am ruthless, in my mind, so fads don't affect me, and I am going with another alternative, like wait a year or two to see how it sorts out to my advantage.

Right now my older Japanese made car (circa 1999) runs just fine. And of course I'll drive less when I can, to include using UPS and FedEx and other such services to help my quality of life. I hope they are better than me in maximizing the energy cost of getting things I still want to have.

The analogy I make is like living in a major city, like New York City, or Tokyo, or Paris or Istanbul, or wherever, and deciding whether to buy a car and pay all the associated expenses, or just use public transportation to include taxies. I, myself, have done both.

But for sure, I act in my own self interests, and don't follow fads, or even respond well to any politician's coercion.

In other words, I can think for myself, and spend my money for myself, too.

No comments: