Translate

Sunday, September 25, 2011

The power of spices

I like 'em in cooking, but that is just my preference. Mostly I like the combinations that don't have much sodium stuff, but that is just my preference, again.

The alternative I actually bought earlier was to enjoy the basic flavors in organically grown food, even store bought food flavors. Those promoters have a point, too. But I don't enjoy it as much.

So I still added some spices to what I am cooking today.

And you know what, I look forward to the output.

Now, being an amateur historian, I even buy the line that many spices were imported by our western ancestors as a way to mask the pungent/rotten smell of food in our past. Now in the West so many have refrigeration provided by public electricity that suggests we humans still like the flavors from our spices in the food we cook. Others in the East/third world may still like the masking aroma where the food is more pungent/rotting. In the end, nobody will want to get sick, or have their Family get sick.

Well, I will go back to making a local goulash on the Cumberland Plateau in Tennessee, with some chicken and other things, to include some locally bought spice combination, in my Japanese rice cooker made in China, to boot. Then I will get on my John Deere tractor with bush hog just to do some work that makes me happy, and hopefully some of honey bees, too. Later I might come back to the local NFL football game delivered over my satellite TV.

But in the end, I sure like the spices I am using.

No comments: