Translate

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Can a country be "run down"?

There are obviously two points of view. One is yes, and one is no.

The reason I pose this question occurred during a local doctor's visit yesterday, and I was reading a novel while waiting that included what was going on in Zimbabwe (formerly Rhodesia).

Now I have buddy I respect a lot; he even served in the 82nd Airborne, who says no one or party can run a country into the ground. He just laughs off my renditions about my worry, because I think it is very possible, and have said so to him.

In the novel, Mugabe, the popular revolutionary turned dictator eons ago, and his minions, have turned his wonderful country into a failing state. By that I mean many people who live there are now going cold and hungry, like starving. And all this has taken decades to happen...it did not happen overnight.

So into today's new world USA, can Obama and the Democratic Party run our country down?

I think not, but please hear my logic.

Basically, we USA types are going to "nip it in the bud". That includes Democrats who just don't go along with other fellow Democrats. Hopefully we can still vote, though if that is taken away, then we might even revolt if need be. Nobody wants to starve.

So my forecast is that things will sort out to our benefit, like good health and success and hope for our Family's futures.

I also suspect much friction will occur, which is kind of like normal. Change is always a tough process.

Now change is always going on, but it sure seems like the rate of change is increased these days. And not just in the new world USA, but the whole world. So who even knows what the future world will look like, but I suspect we humans will be happier in the end. That includes, in my opinion, the rise of a third party in the new world USA.

Right now it can be labeled a "Tea Party" by its opponents, even though it is a movement, kinda like the "hippies" movement decades ago. But like Bob Dylan's song suggested, the times they are a changin'. And this today's movement is based on an idea, not some individual.

And so to my 82nd Airborne friend, I still believe a country can be "run down", but here in the new world USA I suspect we will survive just fine for the normal human reasons. And along the way here in the new world USA, much change will occur, one way or the other. There will be much friction, though less than the Civil War time here in the USA when even Families got divided, politically/ideas speaking. I live in such an area, now over a century later, but still hear about it, to include in the present music and poetry.

So even yesterday my local country doc (who did two years in Mexico reading like Abraham Lincoln did), asked me how much I liked eating acorn flour. Well I answered I still prefer to go to the grocery store, but if need be, I will survive.

And he and his wife have a daughter working on her PhD in English at Ole Miss, by the way. But that is another story.

No comments: