Translate

Monday, September 12, 2011

Just wondering some more

Why is the federal government even involved in local schooling for our parents' decisions about their children's public education? I don't know.

This question is seldom even reported these days.

And I can accept the federal involvement in our federal highways, but again, question why is the federal government even involved in local schooling decisions.

A good guess is answered by the money the federal government provides to help the education effort. Said another way, if we "the people" go our own more local way, then I suspect taxes to pay for all this schooling for our kids will not go down, overall. Said another way, if federal monies decline, probably state and local taxes will go up. I would expect so, but also with that comes more control over kids' educations.

Keep in mind the massive federal income tax payments paid and returned to the states in the form of block grants. For those who think they can get something for nothing, also keep in mind the federal payroll taxes you pay (like social security and Medicare) go to the general fund, not to your future benefits. Said another way, you are paying, too, and are working for the same, every day you work.

Any decline in federal taxes and block grants to states will probably be replaced by more local tax increases, like state and county. Educating our kids is not free, but hopefully public education is still a thriftier way to educate our kids than private means. Obviously if public education ends up costing more than private education, then things will change rather quickly. We seem to be on that path.

One size does not fit all. Hence educating our kids should be a local decision, to include the funding. It is not that I don't trust fellow Americans in D.C. to decide about my kids' education where I live, but I trust my local Americans more where I live.

Now we have now decades of federal school funding (and rules to qualify) that skews the whole affair. Hence any change over the patterns and methods of the last few decades will take time, like even more decades. There predictably will be much turmoil, too.

And maybe I am wrong, like local people where I live like the way things are going. I can live with that, mostly because I have too, but also suggest that change is even happening here, too.

And it will be painful to we adults, too. Kinda like any change is.

I expect the education of our kids will benefit, too. Like they will be happier as adults (like good health and self respect), and say thank you mom and dad; as adults, of course. And educated people tend to make better decisions about their future in America than the less educated.

No comments: