Translate

Saturday, June 02, 2007

Having that discussion about sex

Of course it is all time and situation dependent, usually based on the kid’s age and exposure in school. School usually means misinformation since kids do talk to each other at school.

I’ve chickened out, but then tried to weasel my way back in to something as important as a discussion about sex. I have not done much better than my father when he gave me, a male, a book about sex in the 6th grade. That was it for his part until he was driving me to start at GaTech when he told me that if I got a girl pregnant, that was an adult decision that would prompt him to cut me off financially. Since the Navy ROTC scholarship also forbid marriage, my attention was gained. And besides, I was lucky just to make out for a while with some girl who wanted to do the same.

Now my kids (age 15 for boy and 12 for girl) ignore me about sex, or more reasonably, just don’t bring it up with me. The old days about younger kids asking about where do babies come from just don’t come up these days, though it did in the past. And I punted back then. But they do avoid, as I do, seeing each other naked these days. In my case, it is mostly defensive.

There is one bit of good news on the horizon. My fear of kids getting sexually transmitted diseases that will kill them later has been superceded by their repulsion of the bad behavior, mostly embarrassing behavior, of many of the young Hollywood types promoted in the media. Lindsay Lohan is a loser who is not a role model of desired behavior. The girl on Little House on the Prairie is such a watched model these days, if I believe my 12 year old daughter, which I do. And since she still talks about getting married and then having kids, maybe there is hope for my old time way of life.

And then there are the third world types who promote such ideas as “it takes a village”. Having lived there, do these western do gooders really know what they are promoting? Mostly it means sex with girls as young as 10 or so, no male responsibility, rapid transmission of sexually transmitted diseases across regions and a world, and even female sexual organ mutilations. Is this a western goal, or even a family goal for sex education in the west?

There is a Plan B for the whole world. It is promoting and restoring as necessary the matriarchal way of life. Get the politicians out the way, and let the females sort out how to both preserve humanity, and even advance it.

In my little sex education world with my kids, this seems a reasonable way to proceed. Sex is, of course, an act. But it is also a way of life. As they get older, perhaps I can provide more influence along the lines mentioned earlier. They may not agree, but then it is their life. And then the matriarchs come in.

No comments: