Translate

Saturday, June 16, 2007

English as a first language

I always knew I had a deficit in my English language rules from middle school. While I did get A’s and B’s, I was lacking, in my mind. Nobody kissed my tail. Then I went to Georgia Tech, and while I was drilled there, I knew adding and subtracting was more important. Then I joined the Marines. That changed a lot of my thoughts.

At Command and Staff College, which is like getting a Masters in War, all of us took an English language screening test. Well 95% of us failed, or were assigned to “stupid English” as we said. My sponsored student from Kenya, black as the ace of spades, knew the Queen’s English and tested out. He was one of the smart guys who did something else, whatever they did.

Being assigned to stupid English reminded me of the 8th grade. I had to read, memorize, and understand the various rules. I think I was really good as a Marine and also an 8th grader. And this went on for months.

Being an aggressive Marine (ditto for normal) my graduation article was submitted for an award. Ego was the big deal, though some money was involved, also. All the results were to be announced at the graduation, and I had backhandedly planned what I might say if I won.

Bottom line, I got a flush letter vice an award. But my English was much better.

No comments: