Translate

Sunday, July 08, 2012


Random thinking

    Periodically, I choose to think about things, like make myself think and be honest to myself. This post is just such an effort, that I also choose to share with others. My main logic for sharing this post is that more people think this way, too, as I am coming to learn.

            The main water source here in east Tennessee where I live is four sandstone springs, which means they are mineral free. Water springs come from the land, filtered by the earth above them, so there is always a delay factor between the rain and snow, and the water coming out of the springs. The delay is usually seasonal.  Now there are more springs, but I choose to use these four because of convenience. I had the water checked about ten years ago, and it was better than city water. Now I have a GIS (Geographical Information System) here, and I think all the water originates on this forested land I own and control, but can't prove it. And while these springs have always put out between 3,000 and 7,500 gallons per hour for over a hundred years or more, there is no guarantee they will do the same for the next 100 years for a myriad of worse case reasons.

                        I assume many things. But in the old Marine talk, assume makes an "ass" out of "you" and "me". So I take heed of that idea.

                        I assume my present clean water system, and my present septic tank system, all gravity powered, will keep working for the next 50 years.

                        So I assume the weather will remain pretty much like the last 100 years, which means some wet times and some dry times, and I can plan around that. I also assume any ice age will certainly make things chilly here, but during the last ice age the ice line was north of here, so I don't expect any permanent ice down here, though it will affect my ability to grow food, to include there will be a lot of unhappy relatives resulting.

                        I assume the recent last 100 years which brought back forest land from previously cleared land will continue for the next 100 years. I also worry about wildfires effect on me and my relatives. In other words, I count on getting wood for heat and cooking. Generally speaking there are two ecosystems, one on top of the Plateau, and one below, and we should be able to get wood from below if the situation dictates.

                        I think the area I live in is as good as many other preferred lands (western redoubts) for "the prepper movement". Either way, it will be hard times, in all likelihood.

                        I think I have a security problem because I live within a mile or so of the local small town. So I am planning around that, to include security patrols, and even more "mental" things. Now security means, to me, protecting me and my Family, and our food.  Training is key, and I plan on doing that, to include safety.

                        I already make my own electricity  (using hydro power) with low objectives, to include not having to live like Abraham Lincoln, like I want some interior LED lights during the dark, or even being able to recharge eneloop batteries I like having. But I can go without it if I have to, like the weather or local riff raff or beavers shut me down in making electricity. This whole effort is still evolving, by the way.

                        Now I count on my local hired and otherwise friends to help me survive what I perceive as a coming hard time. At age 64, my objective is more helping my relatives than myself.  Yep, I've actually thought about this.

                        This includes the idea of "catharsis", like discovering what is "on the other side" by going through a hard time in the next decade or more.  I myself would rather avoid that, like influence things as best I can right now. Yep, change can be hard, but why do that with people suffering when there are clear alternatives that don't require suffering, and will probably have better results.
                        So, in my random thoughts, I still think we humans have choices to vote on, and, in the end, it is up to us.

                        Last, in the random thoughts idea, as the President of a small Company, I had a lot of PhD advice, which I did listen to.  But also, I chose to go to the old timers, to get their advice, too. Usually, it was the best advice.  And also, even if the PhD fellows had good advice, it was all too often the old timer on the tractor who really "made it happen in his way".

No comments: