Translate

Thursday, July 19, 2012


Paying the piper
    I always thought it would happen after I died, like I wouldn't care if I am dead. Ideas like USA social security and Medicare going bust was always someone else's problem, and in the "future".
            For the record, I was born in 1948, and am age 64, I think. I consider myself a common citizen.
            Now it seems "paying the piper" might now even be my problem these days. Yep, paying the piper may have arrived while I am alive. Bummer.
            Now some of this is human political, some financial, some even cultural, like educating our kids.
            Wonderful ideas that are not well financed seem to be coming home to roost, and now I have to deal with it since I am alive in east Tennessee. Said another way, this "paying the piper" where I live is now at the local level, not just the state and federal level. Partial layoffs are happening.
            Now politically I think of myself as progressive, but fiscally I think of myself as conservative. Said in simpler terms, I don't want to kill the goose that lays the golden egg, which seems to be what is going on. So why don't we stretch out the paying the piper over time, like longer than what is happening right now?
            Now I am worried, and am planning that way, mostly because I think I have to, like common sense. Think kind of survivalist stuff, since I doubt  the outcome of what is going on right now, and especially doubt the ability of our present leaders to think about a common citizen like me, who just wants basic police and fire protection, with some pot hole maintenance and basic public school things, too. I can take care of charity on my own, and in my own way. And if we have some kind of common event that is adverse, I fear our present leaders will do a poor job in their response.
            Yep, even in hard times, I still think of myself as a citizen, not a serf or vassal.
            Now in fairness, some leaders are doing a good job, and should be reinforced.  None of this "throw the bums out" mentality from me, an old guy.
            Last, the past half century of our USA government's policies have promoted a lot of things that are now coming home to roost. Again, I was hoping I would be dead before it all hit, but time and circumstances haven't worked out like I hoped for and expected. Bummer, again.

No comments: