Translate

Wednesday, May 16, 2012


Poor is when you cannot afford toilet paper

       Of course that is USA poor.  A lot places in the rest of world don't even have toilet paper.

            Now that is not to say in some sort of understated way that others are not clean. No, these other humans just use other means to clean themselves when they defecate or urinate.

            Yet toilet paper is just part of the USA way of life these days, but we really don't have to have it. Even splinter free toilet paper was not even manufactured until the 1930's. I can't imagine wiping my rear end and getting splinters, but many did, I guess.

            Presently, I live in a cottage built in 1905, and it did have a flush toilet. Well my great-grandfather was complaining about all the toilet paper his grandchildren were using, like more than anyone else in the County.  Well one smart-alecky child said something like they may be the only people in the County who even used toilet paper. The year was  probably circa 1915.

            And other paper type products, like diapers and feminine hygiene products, are all relatively recent in the last century or less.  People had other ways to get the healthy effects they sought before then, and of course used them.  We humans did not just miraculously appear on the earth with today's practices.

            Even I am weird enough to think forced air heat and running water is a privilege not a right. I am sure a lot of USA types would probably disagree with me, as well as many other world citizens probably agreeing. Admittedly, these conveniences are part of our USA lifestyle these days, and most who have them like them. I like them, but I also know I can do without if I have to.

            Back to the subject of being poor.

            Now even I used to call my old man "cheap"...now I call him "thrifty".

            And only in the USA can we even take the subject of potty parity seriously since one has to have public toilets to even have this discussion.

            And squat toilets are probably used by as many humans as western style sitting toilets with clean water.  And in places even with toilets, public access toilets and paper is not always available, either through custom, or necessity.
            Now the defintion of being poor in the USA could go on forever, but right now I'll just stop with toilet paper and toilets.

No comments: