Translate

Friday, May 18, 2012


Happiness is a big deal

       Let me define happiness...it is good health and self respect, to me.

            Now poor health can happen at any age, most likely during old age. Poor health tends to make one less happy.

            Now self respect can be about anything. But for sure self respect does not come from money or wealth, rather it is feeling good about one's being and work and effort and responsibility to themselves, their Family, and their Community.

            Now if push comes to shove, I would rather be wealthy, too. And by wealthy I mean I don't want to be cold and hungry through my own fault.  And I can be warm and fed without being wealthy, too. Maybe it won't be as lavish, but so what?

            And if some terrible tragedy, like a life ending disease for a child should occur, and it does happen, then one can still be happy, as in having self respect.

            Why all this esoteric discussion about happiness?

            Mostly it is too suggest there are alternatives to any effort to provide happiness to all, both rich and poor.

            And this applies about everywhere, like from Mongolian sheep herders to Detroit city dwellers.

            You know, an awful lot of good goes on, the kind that makes for self respect, and if it takes one patting one's self on the back, then do it. 

            That's the alternative I prefer!

No comments: