Translate

Sunday, May 06, 2012


The end of an era is upon us

            Will it end with a bang or a whimper?

            The era is that of "progressive", then "liberal", then named again, "progressive" thought and programs, to include how we educate our children, how we choose to be ruled, and how we choose to spend our public tax wealth. In my mind this era is over 100 years old.

            Now a bang could be another civil war or revolution in the USA; war or even other civil wars in other regions around the World; some mother nature event; and a whimper could be some kind of muddle through history with drawn out results, to maybe include periods of fascism in some places. Both ideas have logic in their thinking, but what really will happen nobody knows.

            Now at age 64, I always thought that basic ideas like our USA Constitution and our Bill of Rights were unshakable. Now I am not so sure.

            But for sure, change in the status quo is coming, and actually has already started. Most of us humans assume the status quo, often the circumstances we grew up with where ever we live, will go on forever. But we all know change is constant, kind of like evolution is too.  Even whole populations can shift, like the USA Republicans used to have the Negro voting block until 1927, when it shifted to become a USA Democratic voting block that continues to this day. But even that can change, quickly, it seems.

            This change period will be something to record and write about.  Right now just record it from where you live and sit as best you can.  Others in the future can take your work and massage it as they wish to do. I remember once reading a history of the USA about the 1800's and written by some PhD around 1899. Well later I read a history of USA in the same period written around 1980 by some other PhD, and it seemed like a different history.

            Last, at age 64, I no longer try influence the action, mostly because it is a waste of my time in May 2012. Rather I have dropped out, lowered my standards to that of a Marine cantonment (which is still pretty good), and plan to live in a primitive way (to include using my time and assets to this idea) until I die, or this era ends and another era begins with better prospects for me and my Family's future.

No comments: