Translate

Monday, May 09, 2011

Is our culture approaching limits?

By our culture, I mean our new world USA culture. That's a pretty good standard for our human future, I think.

By limits, I mean things like what is the difference between OK and pretty good? I suspect the answer is in the eye of the beholder, like the common citizens most of us are.

After all, we all want to succeed for ourselves, and our Family's selves.

What got me thinking this way is something simple. Taking pictures of my loved ones is the idea. For example, if one shops for digital cameras these days, one has mostly really good choices. The dilemma is the multiplicity of good choices. This, to me, is a good problem. But it also suggests maybe our choices of OK and pretty good is becoming too fine a point to think about influencing what we want to do. After all, I just want to make my Family happy.

So have we gone too far, like to the point of excess. Maybe we are there already. And so many jobs depend on this idea, I think.

Said another way, should politicians who appeal to supporting the past initiatives of their ancestors supersede those politicians who want to keep "improving" things. Even said another way, how about we support our recent past (and how we voted), as opposed to changing things some more.

To me that is voter decision in the new world USA. In other places the politics will probably be different, like revolt or revolution.

In all cases, I think, the coming change will be difficult, as in much friction.

But for sure change is coming, I think.

Like the "Bridge too far" idea, maybe we humans will sort it out in the end.

Thank goodness I live in Putnam County Tennessee where reality and idealism seems to balance out in the coming cultural limits idea. And we have our share of deadbeats who leach off the truly poor, too, local County government provided, of course.

I personally know of a 40 year old local man who will not work for a living. And he has local women who provide sex, and he survives OK, right now. I suspect here locally all this is coming to an end after decades of "otherwise". He and the current women will figure it out when they get hungry, mostly to go to work at minimum wage in order to sustain their lifestyle. Here locally, we do have a bad drug problem, by the way.

So I truly think our culture is approaching limits. And I think many others may think this way, too.

No comments: