Translate

Saturday, May 07, 2011

The end of the world as we know it

Besides being an old time rock and roll song going back a couple of decades, it prompts some questions to this person.

So what if the world changes (which it will anyway), and is that good or bad?

I guess it depends on your perspective, and your time frame.

For example, you may think the next period in your timeframe and your family is most important. That is pretty normal to me. Call that the short term approach.

Others may think more medium (like the next few hundred years). For example, how many is too many humans on the earth? And can our human politicians influence what happens?

Last, others may think even longer term, like billions of years. I think most humans agree eventually the solar system will turn the earth into a crispy critter, and all of us, too.

I just wish political leaders would say the timeframe they are thinking in, which unsaid I assume to be short term, and that idea influences the way I think about my vote, or other political actions, like revolt, or revolution, or civil war.

Even where I live on the Cumberland Plateau in Tennessee, there are those who want to preserve the environment, a noble goal I would say. What I hear is they want to keep it like today, which to me is different than even from 100 years ago, or when the European ancestors of myself got here (like 200 years ago). How about the end of the last ice age, like 8,000 years ago around here, as a goal. Can we humans even influence the outcome?

Somehow I suspect it will all sort out in the end. And maybe the end of today's world may portend a better world in the future. Hope does spring eternal, and maybe much friction will occur in the interim. Now I wonder if human friction is a curse, or just a part of living on the Earth?

On that question, I do not know. But I have my guesses. I expect you do, too.

No comments: