Translate

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Let us hunker down

If times get "hard" I suspect most will do Family type things. Mostly we will do smart things like stay warm and fed, though the standards of both may change for so many. And the old line about we can pick our friends, but not our relatives also comes to mind. Now many in the world still have more than one family "under the roof", but to many others that will be a new experience, I would guess. And even when I lived in Okinawa, Japan, there were "love hotels" where couples could get some "private" time, so even they needed to get away from home now and then.

Now, for me, I kinda liked the love hotel idea, especially when my "bride" came over from the USA. I was willing to pay for an "all nighter", and even enjoyed the water fights in the bathroom area as big as you might imagine. Nothing like being wet and naked. All this was after I took her to a Japanese McDonalds, which had very good service most would imagine it should always be like, and where I even presented her with a fake Rolex watch bought in Bangkok. It had a Seiko internal watch, I was told. Later, back in the USA, I abandoned all this. Got to take care of the home country, by the way. And by the way, I blabbed the real truth while at the Japanese McDonalds.

So if times "get hard" I suspect we New World humans will do OK, though probably not happy right off. I still think this part of the World is a good place to hunker down, if times get hard.

What I wonder about, and think about, is the "happiness" factor. Along the way human dignity, and self respect comes into mind, too. Hence, many may be miserable by their previous standards, but perhaps many will be happy, too.

No comments: