Translate

Sunday, February 12, 2012

What goes up must come down

And vice versa, too.

Many things seem inevitable, in a good sort of way. We humans do vote with our feet, and our pocketbooks. Often it does take decades to become apparent. And usually our families and hope for their future has a lot to do with it.

Obvious trends to me include the great migrations in the USA. Once it was from the South to the Midwest and the Rustbelt areas. Now it is going the other way. Another is the trend towards progressive and tradional liberalism and its wonderful benefits is being brought back to reality by financial reality. Add in all the world interconnectivity that has been building for decades, and it remains a topsy turvy world to me.

Now it is the "down" side of things that worries me these days. Mostly that means, to me, that the pace of change is accelerating, and common order and interests may also break down, like return to older times I have read about. Having lived around the world, I have seen many of the alternatives, and I prefer what we have in the USA, warts and all.

It almost seems biblical to me, that is how we humans do in mass, both in good times and bad. And to me that means having a vote, like influencing things, or at least having a chance to influence things. Having enjoyed the "going up" phase of life, now I guess I get to tolerate the "going down" phase before I die, too. I am age 63, by the way.

Even I accept the nature of the cycle of life and cultures and civilizations, and even how they accommodate mother nature's effects, and even human effects. What worries me is how well do our leaders know this, and deal with this?

Or do I, and others in their own way, have to rise up to deal with it as a matter of necessity?

On this idea, rests our human fate on this earth, I think.

No comments: