Translate

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Rights and privileges are different

Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness is a right, to me.

Flush toilets and forced air heat is a privilege, to me, and I appreciate it. So is national defense. Some countries don't have a national defense.

I will fight for both rights and privileges, if that is what it takes. Hopefully the vote is the best way to fight for me.

Now many politicians and voters can claim privileges are rights, but that doesn't change things even in the new world USA. The two are different, and many of us recognize this, and will probably vote that way as a consideration.

Many fellow Americans work hard to make sure we have clean tap water, waste water treatments, and public electricity. Other fellow Americans work real hard to make sure we make it through the winter time like with ice free roads and reliable heating and cooking infrastructure that works. Even I like turning a light switch on during the dark times of the day, and expect it to come on instantly. These are examples of privileges, to me. This includes even times after a storm that damages our infrastructure.

I don't want to live like Abraham Lincoln, but I can if I need to.

And I am now perceiving many Americans think many of these privileges are automatic, and don't need to be supported, reinforced, nurtured, or whatever. I respectfully disagree. Many of those providing our privileges are much of the basic purpose of governments at all levels. And I thank them, and their Families. And I will support them and those that provide their services by my vote, my pocket book, and whatever else it takes.

I know the difference between rights and privileges, and appreciate it. And I also know the difference between idealism and practicality, and the need to balance it all for the benefit of us all.

I've seen and lived the difference, and sure like what we have in the new world USA.

Good on us!

No comments: