Translate

Friday, October 07, 2011

The sum is greater than the whole of the parts

I suspect most have heard this expression in one form or another. And at age sixty-three, I still wonder about our academic fascination with dividing a problem into the parts for analysis. That method I must live with, but, again, I still wonder why most humans don't try to analyze the whole? That would help me where I live.

To make things sound too simple, the idea of operations analysis was created in WWII just for this reason. So this idea is not rocket science.

Now some do try analyze the whole...it is often called the vote, or whatever method exists for people to assert themselves wherever they live.

Another usual expression one hears is "that there is something wrong with this picture." That's another way to say the idea of seeing how it all sorts out. And most have heard the forest and the trees ideas.

The other amazing thing to me, is the obvious consequence to me is so often ignored by others. After all, I am old, and going cold and hungry and dying off might be OK to others, but not to me. Said another way, we all do think differently, and one way or the other, one ought to get a chance to voice our view. Of course, in the end, we will. The main question is how.

But if it comes down to physical violence, like revolt or civil war or whatever, then what a shame. Again, and as a reminder, I live in the new world USA.

So back to the title of this post, and the idea of looking at things as a whole.

In my view, I think our present Federal executive is a crummy President, and has hired many like him. In the same vein, I agree with many of the ideals, but the pace of change and the basic competent management I have serious issues with, like give someone else a chance in this wonderful new world USA to make us "happy".

Now I don't need some academic to tell me what to think about his or her values, though I am confident they are hard working and well intentioned, too.

But so am I.

Hence "there is something wrong with this picture", and I will assert myself the best I can in our new world USA.

No comments: