Translate

Wednesday, October 05, 2011

Congratulations parents...you do make a difference in your child

I've made my peace. All of us are partly the way our genetics made us, some may say the way God made us; and also partly the way our influential people in our lives made us, mostly our mothers and fathers.

And this post focuses on why fathers, males if you will, matter in the upbringing of children.

And bringing up children, the future of the human race wherever you live is a big deal, bigger than things like individuals and their rights and problems.

And boys and girls are different, thank goodness. Can't live with 'em and can't live without 'em is an oft common expression I hear.

And the sum is greater than the whole of the parts, so to speak in more scientific terms. Hence, kids benefit by having a mother and father "expressing" their points of view and values as children grow. Said another way, most of us are not born knowing "it all". We do have to be taught.

In my case, getting chewed out in the 8th grade over some infraction (OK I was in a fight where the other boy got his arm broken) was different between how my Mom handled it and my Dad handled it. But I paid attention, and learned some values along the way.

One more story. In the 2nd grade I led a playground fight for reasons I truly have forgotten, but the female yard monitor (a teacher) chewed me out really bad and changed my personality, in the process. I think she forget it, but I did not forget it.

So back to my point, that moms and dads do make a difference in our lives. I call it their influence on our lives. Good on 'em, too. Most grandparents will often chuckle under their breath to see their kids have their time in the barrel since it is often not fun.

So here's a sales pitch. Why don't we common citizens have rules, practices, and laws, that promote this kind of thinking that promotes Moms and Dads raising their children, as best they can?

Now these days in the new world USA, I don't hear much about this idea. So be it. But in the same vein, having a Mom and Dad at home sure does make a difference in how we turn out.

No comments: