Translate

Sunday, October 30, 2011

The friction continues in the new world USA

Been there, done that, is an old time expression. This expression continues to work today.

The present day Tea Party, to me, is a movement, and not a "party". It is kinda like the Hippie movement decades ago. Yet today, its opponents continue to try define it, as if it is reported in the press, then it must be true. For me, being a child of the 60's, I think otherwise. What surprises me is that a lot of other fellow citizens think the same way, more than I ever thought so. Yep, the times they are a changin'.

There was a time in my youth, kinda like the present day folks who think differently than I do, that I bought their line. "Lee Harvey Oswald, where are we now that we need you" comes to mind. And even I thought about going out to Taos, New Mexico, getting naked, growing corn in the desert, and living in a cave. Instead I joined the Marines, which pretty much did the same thing, with a better quality of life, if you don't mind going in harm's way part of the time. Neither approach will get you rich, or even well off.

Yep, Marines are Americans, too.

So I now fear many people will die through the do-gooder intents and efforts and federal government practices today. It's the classical debate about do good intentions count, or does practically count?

What has gotten my attention is the effect on my remaining life. I am age 63, and don't want to die cold and miserable. I live in a rural part of America, and pretty much live (at least 1/3 or more) off the land. I would say 100%, but I do go to the local grocery store to get food, including dog food. Now some of it all sounds glorious, like the noble Indian idea, until you get to live this Hippie way. Yep, I don't want to be a Taos Hippie type. Presently, I wear long johns as I write, and time my farm maintenance work to the local weather.

So the present friction about the future of our new world USA has earned my attention, like time and effort. And, you know what, for the first time in my life, I am going to get politically involved. My military background has always taught me to not vote in federal elections so I could claim (sincerely) I will serve any Commander-in-Chief. Now, I am going to change, like vote.

So as part of the friction, am I a subject, or a citizen?

No comments: