Translate

Sunday, April 25, 2010

The Tea Party idea

Not too long ago when asked who would I vote for in the 2008 federal election, the usual answer was “I wished we had another choice”. Now the location I can report from is the Cumberland Plateau in Tennessee. This whole talk got my attention. Hence my report on an idea.

I am age 62, and also educated, in my opinion. I went to Ga Tech.

I moved here from Atlanta a good while back and on purpose. I voted with my pocket book, so to speak. Quality of life was a big part of my decision about my life. I had been the President of a company based in Athens, Ga, a good place to live, I think. And the job was quite good, too.

Since my move, things have changed, a lot. Mostly for our American good, I think.

We in America have had many third party movements, even before my time (born in 1948).

This time things seem to be different, like the idea of an idea vice some present individual with money and motivation counts more than the overriding idea. In other words, the idea counts most, and whom we vote for reflects the American idea of voting. Said simply and another way, there seems to be an idea that many Americans will vote for an idea for the future, vice a party. Mostly the idea is our future, mostly our family’s future.

Let me forecast another way. The present status quo in America favors our present two party system, both Republican and Democrats. The idea of the Tea Party, I think, is just to vote American. In this idea much change will come.

Now conventional wisdom is to try divide and conquer, as in most suspect the Tea Party Ideas will hurt the republicans more than the democrats. So be it in 2010.

But the idea does not change, and the consequences do not change. And the highest percentage of independents does not change. Americans are mostly just going along, as just in being themselves and looking out for their quality of life. The voters still have a choice as to their future, in the end.

No comments: