Translate

Thursday, April 01, 2010

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence

This old time phrase still seems to apply to today’s times. The idea is pretty human…we always hope for the best and expect other courses of action, i.e. the other side of the fence idea, applies to we humans.

And while change is constant, it is not always for the best, as in our future, as in our family’s futures. Sometimes change may make our human quality of life less.

Now I have been tempted to buy this older idea since we in the USA and the new world seem to have an OK quality of life. Perhaps we should reduce our quality of life, if that will “save the world”. But what if, like the facts, interfere, like make our futures worse, and on purpose. Like I said in the title, the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

One for fact idea bothers me. I now hear organizations like the National Resources Defense Council (NRDC) want to dictate to me, a land owner, how I should live and survive up here on the Cumberland Plateau in Tennessee. First they don’t want to pay for their idea (like taxes), other than their own salaries. Second is that they want to maintain the “environment” in their vision, which is pretty much in the “eye of the beholder”. Now I even have sympathies, until I hear the definition of “what environment” the “eye of the beholder” wants this place to look like.

As a report to the reader of this post, much of this land when we Europeans came here was open land, with Eastern Buffalo (now long extinct) and Elk grazing in the pastures, kinda like “Little House on the Prairie”.

Even at the end of the last Ice Age about 10,000 years ago, New York City was still ½ mile under the ice. Is that the objective, which is obviously silly? And if the objective is make it like the last 100 years, well that is silly, too.

Now we in the USA can discuss and argue until we are blue in the face. What seems especially frustrating is that anyone can “hang a shingle” saying they are an environmentalist.

Now let’s move overseas. My example is India. There are 400 million humans there in rural areas without electricity. And I also read they want electricity to improve their quality of life. So where is there a discussion in the western world about all this. Now if you are a local political leader in this India example, then there is much more discussion, including environmental kind of things. Yes, there is another point of view, depending on where one sits.

My question to myself today is simple two ways. How do how I try to enhance my family’s future? And so far, how much are we humans affecting our environment, as compared to how much effect does mother nature still have?

And I don’t think of myself as stupid. I went to GaTech on a scholarship, so I give myself some credit.

I just now wonder how green the grass will be on the other side of the fence.

Now we have many courses of action that will enhance our family’s futures in our own homeland.

So be it.

No comments: