Translate

Thursday, April 08, 2010

The coming political and voter decisions

Which way is it going to be? Are our local county and state governments going to provide basic services as a priority, or provide other priorities at the expense of basic services?

Now I define basic services as police, fire, clean water, waste water treatment, and reliable electricity for me and my loved ones.

The first patterns of behavior are slowly emerging, and it doesn’t look good for providing basic services as a priority. Said another way, if you can’t do it all, at least do the basics. And so many Americans work at providing these basic services do so well.

Now some governments do better than others. This can be construed as a local type of political and voter decision.

Now to abandon basic services is to invite anarchy, by the way.

There is an old saying that goes like this: “For lack of knowing what to do, we do what we know”. Those political leaders used to the status quo may end up like the dinosaurs who perished. Perhaps this analogy applies to some state and county governments, today. Perhaps it might even apply to some public school boards. It might even apply to our federal government.

I guess I wonder if it will finally take people dying to prompt the change to the present pattern of behavior. What a shame if this is what it takes. And this “taking” will last a long time, I think. Again, it did not have to happen, if it does.

What a shame.

Most of us just want to wake up in the morning and do a good job. Along the way some clean water and flush toilets help. So does knowing I can call a local police and fire force if I need too. And having the lights come on when I turn the switch helps too. And counting on the electrical refrigerator and freezer working is a nice plus in the preservation of my family's food.

1 comment:

just a marine said...

I think this comment translated says this: There is no friendship, life what music?