Translate

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Human foibles

For me, the subject means human flaws, like design defects in the way we are made.

The classic ways I was taught were things like: which came first, the chicken or the egg? The other was: which came first, the horse, or the cart?

Since I joined the Marines, I have also been taught that: taking casualties up front usually saves lives in the long run.

Now I do not offer to convince anyone of what I think. Rather I just note what I have been taught, not in school, by the way.

So now I even wonder about whether Marshall Tito in Yugoslavia was just a communist, or a national leader who knocked heads given his part of the world?

Last, even the Herbert Hoover book has come out after five decades about events in his time. My take is that at least he suggests there were other courses of action. And I don't apologize for using hindsight, since I do have that advantage to see how things have sorted out.

No comments: