Translate

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

I have children, too

The thought that some of my children and relatives will die for some other American’s ideals just drives me crazy.

As a now retired Marine, I understand more than a little bit about war. And in the same vein, I would not want to be a cop in the USA. At least in the Marines, I used to be able to shoot the bad guys, not arrest them (in the old days).

Now I think there are people in charge of our federal government, both executive and legislative, who think otherwise. Now my children engaged away from our country are being asked to be more like cops than soldiers. That puts them in harm’s way that makes me unhappy. These ideas are just silly and stupid. They have a mission to accomplish, and seem to be going a fine job.

The normal emotional response is just to think about these same politicians doing all this to their kids and relatives, or maybe even themselves. The more American response is to vote. Either way, one imagines, things will change.

And the other normal emotional response is why should my kid die for some good idea in some god forsaken place that does not protect me, an American. These days it is called “nation building” and “counter insurgency”, but I don’t think that is a big deal to most Americans. And I think most Americans understand the dilemma of following thru or bailing out of what earlier politicians have started.

We have more concerns at home, I think. We also have a nation to continue to build and maintain, and also have our own “hearts and minds”.

No comments: