Translate

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

  • Now I’m worried

    Strike three, you’re out.

    When Speaker Pelosi became the 60th Speaker of the House recently I took it like a loser. I voted for the other side. And the hyperbole and election promises were appealing to me, even then if I did not expect much. But I am patient, and 2008 doesn’t look that far away these days.

    But now I am nervous she is letting ego supercede our nation’s interests. The underlying questions are two. Did others in her party know about this? And why did they elect her, in this case?

    Strike one. Her election to the Speaker position was orchestrated like a coronation. Even George Washington counseled us about this possible abuse, more likely in his time than her time roughly 200 years later.

    Strike two. The election minimum wage promise for the nation was compromised by her exemption for one constituent. Boy, does that smell really bad. Promises to correct this “mistake” have apparently been superseded by time and obfuscation within the House.

    Strike three. The request for a government private plane has gone too far. A plane yes, but the requirements smell like ego:
    42 business class seats
    enclosed stateroom
    entertainment center
    private bed
    communications system
    16 person crew
    By contrast, her predecessor, Danny Hastert, used a smaller jet that seats 12, has 5 crew members and none of the amenities.
    He did not rate that after the fact, and in my humble opinion.

    You go figure. For different reasons than the Republicans, it looks like the Democrats have their own Pelosi version of Newt Gingrich. In comparison, she is starting to look really bad. In her case it is beginning to look like the Peter Principle; she has been elected one level higher than her skill level as a hard working organized vote getter. For me, all I care about is my nation. It should be interesting to see how it sorts out. Since I think she is from the old school, and many more people elected to the House are from the new school, her time is very limited in her position. How the Democrats sort it out is their problem if they want to do better in national elections. And all I seek is national vision to go forward.

No comments: