Translate

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

The global part of global warming

All the recent media coverage of the global warming issue is mostly of academic interest to me, since I have already made up my mind. After 40 years of homework, in my case, I am comfortable with my decision. I have a small reading list for laymen I’ll add to the end of this post for those who have not made up their mind.

The media coverage of the politics of this issue is most interesting to me. Especially interesting is the Kyoto treaty. For a treaty that supposedly addresses the survival of humans, it is amazing it is not a “global” treaty. The exemption of China and India alone make it less than a global wide treaty. Who in their right mind would negotiate or implement such a flawed document? Of course we didn’t, and the Senate vote in 1997 (95-0 I believe) as well the Clinton and Bush administration positions all reflect this. That some such as Kerry railed against the U.S. position in Switzerland last week after he voted against it in 1997 is the height of hypocrisy. Even if he changed his opinion in the interim, a little modesty and balance might have been included in his words. All in all, any global treaty that is not global tells me there are other agendas at play since I don’t think people can be that stupid.

The other global part of global warming is mother nature. There is more at play than just one ingredient like CO2 (carbon dioxide), but thermodynamics at even its basic level comes into play, and this too is omitted. Again, either people are incredibly stupid, or there are other agendas at play.

Last, here is a small reading list for those who have not made up their mind.
http://www.michaelcrichton.com/speeches/complexity/complexity.html
http://www.csmonitor.com/2004/1223/p01s04-sten.html
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/11/business/worldbusiness/11chinacoal.html?pagewanted=1&en=e9ac1f6255a24fd8&ei=5088&ex=1307678400&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss
http://www.crichton-official.com/speeches/npc-speech.html

No comments: