Translate

Monday, October 27, 2014

Recipe of the Week: Uncle Bud’s Stew, by Mrs. H

Recipe of the Week: Uncle Bud’s Stew, by Mrs. H



 

My husband has celiac disease, which is much more serious and complex than just a gluten allergy. The following is an old family recipe that I adjusted to make it gluten free.


Ingredients:
 
1 pound stew meat (I prefer to buy a piece of meat and cut it up myself. I‘ve used boneless chuck roast and sirloin steak among others)
1 can gluten-free cream of mushroom soup (I’ve used both Amy’s and Health Valley)
1 small can mushrooms
1 batch homemade dry onion soup mix (This is comparable to the Lipton’s dry onion-mushroom soup mix that I used to use. Recipe follows.)


Directions:
Place beef in 1½ quart baking dish. Pour soup over top and add homemade dry onion soup mix. Stir. Bake at 300° for 3 hours. About 30 minutes before it’s done, add the can of mushrooms. I serve this over a baked potato; you could also serve it over rice. I just add a couple potatoes to the oven rack about 1½ hours before the stew is done. I don’t wrap them in foil; I just throw them on the rack with the stew.



The following is my recipe for homemade dry onion soup mix:

 
4 tsp. gluten-free beef bouillon granules (I use Herb Ox Sodium-Free Beef Bullion; 4 teaspoons is equal to 4 of the packets.)
8 tsp. dried onion flakes
1 tsp. onion powder
½ tsp. garlic powder
¼ tsp. black pepper
¼ tsp. salt

This is a very low-sodium as well as gluten-free recipe. If you would like to thicken up the gravy a bit, mix ¼ c. Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free All-Purpose Baking Flour with water to make a paste. Add this when you add the mushrooms.

 



From the Survival Blog


No comments: