Translate

Sunday, February 09, 2014

Polar fleece and other such materials


Polar fleece and other such materials

       I figure between the Explorer Scouts and the US Marines, I've got over two years of my life operating outdoors in all climes, seasons, and places.  Said another way, when I go outdoors for some wonderful daytime adventure (and getting shot at now and then), it is like for 24/7  and not some come home and get a warm shower, cocktail hour, and served dinner followed by  a warm dry bed.

            As a rule it is fair to say, when it is cold and rainy outside you will eventually get cold and wet inside, and suffer the results. I have yet to find any  gear that is the nirvana for humans when it is cold and wet and one has to conduct outside operations at the same time. Now operations can be patrolling, shooting artillery and mortars,  searching, or just moving between relatively rain-free tents or something like that.

            Along that line, most outdoor gear leaks where the seams penetrate the cloth and allows the water to follow. Hence, at least once a year try apply some silicone to the seams to better help seal it. One doesn't have coat the whole thing, though one can experiment with results of even that kind of effort.

            So recently I just tried out another piece of gear made from mico-fleece, and it seems to work  pretty well. The first piece from several years ago also worked very well, but I just did not believe it. I've got years of wearing Gotex shells, for example, and they all leak when it rains outside, usually through the seams by the way.

            Now here is a wiki link on polar fleece:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polar_fleece

            Here is a wiki link on Malden Mills:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malden_Mills

Last, the intent of this post is NOT to recommend any products. But I can recommend any piece of gear that has tried to think of about everything when designed and when making nifty mostly warm and dry gear (on the inside). After, when it is home defense, anything to keep the defender happy is in my interest too when it comes to keeping my life and my growing food as safe as can be. Mother nature usually takes care of the bad stuff just fine.

For example if one's fate requires one to lay in a puddle of water for over an hour, so be it.

No comments: