Translate

Thursday, February 24, 2011

The power of video

You can believe it or not. I don't believe most contrived and presented pictures. You may. Like I said, I don't, and take things with "a grain of salt", an old time expression. And I know how to do Photoshop stuff (including videos), like many of us.

In the old days (like since WWII), most video was TV delivered, like over the over the air networks. Now the internet and cell phones have made video another way to "report". Check out YouTube for example. But even before then, the power of video, and pictures in general, was well known. Even in the "old" days we all who went to the movies would often have to watch Real Tone movies about current events. This idea later expanded to even when "news" gained 15 minutes a day in the evening USA national TV after people came home from work, to include Huntley Brinkley. That period was the first time I heard my mother fart.

Later things "progressed". Even CNN and many other 24/7 news channels entered cable TV systems. Now where I live in east Tennessee, I still wonder why I can't get just the channels I want to want and do watch. I still have to buy packages, including things like CNN and MSNBC, which for my politics, I abhor. I asked a lawyer lobbyist 1st cousin who attends to the Tennessee legislature about this, and his opinion is that it was their decision.

Now I have been a Marine recruiter in Kentucky a long time ago, and I think I understand the basic principles OK. I've even had a lot of training is this area.

And I think I "know" a lot about "propaganda". I used these principles all the time. I am as good as any Nazi, I would think. This included exploiting video, back then. After all, I had a quota to make for that month.

Now I advance to today. I still only believe about 10% of what I read, and at best 50% of what I see, to include video. So if you want to be an informed USA citizen about what is going on, for real, then good luck. There are other sources, thank goodness, paltry as they are. And video stuff is suspicious, at least to me.

Even look at the composition of any video you see. For example, is it an area shot or a more focused local shot. Anyway, I think this way. Maybe you should, too.

Now the "news" people who present their news should be subject to the American Sherman Antitrust Act, which will probably never happen. But I also predict many subscribers and voters will vote with their pocket book, to include even the recently reported item that Newsweek magazine sold for $1. After all, why should I pay for other humans giving me their opinions? I can go to the local Hardees at breakfast time and coffee club for that, for example.

So what is the value of video when you watch it however. I would say be careful, like most I think.

No comments: