Translate

Saturday, December 08, 2007

Remembering and reminiscing are two different things

I remember when national TV news reports were 15 minutes long and prestige loss leaders. I reminisce that I trusted most of what I heard and saw back then. I remember when national TV reports went to 30 minutes 5 days a week, and later weekends. I reminisce about them before they became money generators and parts of entertainment divisions. I remember when Cable News Network (CNN) started with the collective cooperation of many local news departments. I reminisce about the expectation of TV news coming out of Atlanta, vice the East Coast and New York City. I remember when I first heard the term “24/7 news cycle”. I reminisce when the business cycle had no effect on news reporting. I remember when most reporters were expected to have subject matter expertise as a first priority. I reminisce that youth and good looks and energy to generate ratings and income would have less influence on the news business today.

I remember when the news was just the facts, let the reader decide what to do with it, and let the chips fall where they may. I reminisce things might go back that way, as get away from all the news practices today that are driving away customers in droves. Boycotts are not even needed. I remember when TV was mostly black and white. I reminisce I could have today’s technological advances (like color TV, cable, and satellite) married up with yesterday’s more honest news’ standards.

I remember an older BBC which enjoyed an international good reputation. I reminisce the BBC World Service could return to its independent ways. I remember all the stories, many current, about the BBC hiring actors to help make up the then reported news. I reminisce these reporters and producers would never have made the grade to be hired, and then shamed before their dastardly deeds could occur. I remember “before news organizations commissioned polls that they then reported on”. I reminisce about a news world before hired polls.

I remember not knowing the political persuasion of TV reporters. I reminisce most could leave their politics at the door to work. I remember most TV news people are Americans from throughout our land, with mothers and fathers from throughout our land. I reminisce most TV news people could overcome any academic indoctrination and lowering of standards taught them in colleges and universities. I remember when news was a private for profit business. I reminisce it will stay that way, even as many news people and organizations will go out of business. I will both remember and reminisce it does not have to turn out this way, but probably will. Having lived overseas, I have seen government news. I hope it does not come to the USA. I hope private news goes under first, with Americans picking up the good pieces. Foreigners already are.

No comments: