Translate

Sunday, November 16, 2014

One solution to a beaver problem



One solution to a beaver problem

First the Hemlock’s version of the story.
I think the local wildlife caught and ate the beavers.
They were living in the cold pool below the Compound area, but are not around anymore.
The main problem here was that they were damming up the overflow spillway, and the water was threatening to overflow the dam, which is a big no-no to most.
So I would go down to the spillway daily, and bust the beaver dam. My feet got so cold and wet, I even bought some waders and thick warm socks to help my effort.
Now as to my Marine time and Camp Lejeune, the beavers would flood an impact area that made periodic sweeping of said area difficult at best. Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) guys would complain routinely.
They were allowed their solution to fix the problem......blow up the beaver dams with C4 explosive. The result was beavers 4, Marines 0.
So we brought in the scout-snipers with night vision goggles (NVG’s) and they did the trick, like the impact area could then be “cleared” more safely to humans.
Most Americans don’t want a fair fight either, especially when it comes to saving life and limb I would say.
And where were the other wildlife when we needed them?


No comments: