Translate

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

I was shocked and bothered

As a father, I had a visiting 14 year old daughter casually say that Kim Kardasian was getting a divorce. It was the casual manner that got my attention. And I really don’t even know who Kim is. I am sure she, Kim, is a hard working person, and all the other stuff. But I want my daughter to be happy, with self respect.

Perhaps something is wrong. Perhaps I have become the cyclops of the old days. But perhaps not, also. All people want respect, at whatever level. None of us want insults, which we will never forget.

So I suggest we parents do our bit. It may be ignored, which is normal. But by golly, somebody has to be the parent, and somebody has to be the kid. Screw the hormone bit which we all go through, and since we are alive today, have been through.

And few are born with knowledge. Most have to be taught things like values and standards and even shame. Even schools teach things, also. The idea is that we need to be taught. Is that simple enough?

2 comments:

Rebekah Bohannon Beeler said...

i hope to ruin the surprise and curiosity and experimentation of the teen years for my children by spilling the beans and being totally honest about all the moronic things i have done and still have them accustomed to realistic manners and respect for their parents. maybe if i don't lie they won't either and i can instill those moral values in them all the same.

just a marine said...

Hi Rory,
Good on you for your idealism and good initiative.
In the same vein, hold them to your and your husband's standards.
And teach them your all's standards, and then let them go forward. They are not born with your all's standards...they have to be taught.
Being taught is so human.
Clay Williams on the Cumberland PLateau in Tennessee