Translate

Saturday, January 04, 2014

Defending Monterey, Tennessee



Defending Monterey, Tennessee

       Monterey can be an example of about anywhere in the world
First are my simple assumptions. Mostly the invaders will be cold, wet, hungry, and most likely smart and desperate enough to get one's attention. Their alternatives,  like moving in with their relatives and neighbors will have been exhausted. And they may be led by some criminal leaders bent on their own objectives. Even the "Brady Bunch" scenarios come to mind, like people and children showing up that I want to help if I can. I also assume "they" will probably use conventional routes, like existing roads and even old time routes if times get really hard. I even worry about such things as a pandemic, and what will I do then?  I sure hope my assumptions are incorrect. I sure hope food banks and soup kitchens help my cause, too. I sure hope it never happens in all cases.

Second is the idea of simple priorities. If one can't defend all around, like 360 degrees and from all threats, then focus on what you can try defend, like obvious routes and choke points. While priorities are not a perfect way to go, they are at least a good start point.

Along the way, take advantage of time, like to use maps and diagrams and notes  and personal recons to think about things ahead of time when you can without the pressure of more timely responses. And then wait.  Give yourself like a half a year to do all this, if you even buy the argument.

Even I had to once go in and out of a hotel in Istanbul  (in different ways) just to help keep the bad guys from ambushing me, or so I thought and read in my own intel reports. The bad guys were even going after our kids, too. And nothing like getting chased by a Palestinian hit team in Beirut, too. I have other stories, too. I would summarize them as that it is a rough world out there.

Anyway, this idea of your homeland defense is  what I would do as a start point.

I would probably keep any work and effort quiet to yourself and your immediate Family and friends, too. After all, I don't think coming across as a "nut case" is to one's advantage right now in the USA. Later is probably better timing if times should get hard.  And, again, hopefully, one does not even have to "dust" off their earlier plans and assumptions.

As to resources for any work you may do, consider just a basic diagram on paper. For many others there are plenty of "free" resources for maps and overhead photos of where you may live. Remember the basic idea is twofold. One is to have a respectable map or diagram you trust, and second is to be able to explain it to others. Of course, you can make a simple diagram anytime. As a Marine, I would call it improvising, which is an OK way to go. Now as a citizen I would just think of the idea as thinking ahead, and planning according to your own personality and situation.

Below is a sample map of what I am writing about. The blue pins are obvious places to suggest setting  in a "choke point" for example.  Obviously,  any ground recon will improve things.
 

 

Last, anyone can shrink any kind of area to defend to a smaller area, like a neighborhood,  or a community, or even a cul-de-sac. You figure it out. As always, it will depend on the situation as it unfolds where you live.

Here's a sample photo from our USA recent past.
 
 
 

No comments: