Translate

Friday, January 10, 2014

Antennas (KISS - Keep it simple stupid)


Antennas (KISS - Keep it simple stupid)

       First there are many internet based links on antennas and antenna designs. Most are pretty good for those so inclined.

            Second is that most are "too" geeky for many. What bothers me is that the simple things are just assumed, I guess.

            So here is my stab at an article about very simple antennas for those who may choose to try them out.

            Antennas can be used to help enhance the reception of a radio signal. Most people are familiar with store bought radios that often come with some kind of antenna for reception built in or attached. That's good enough for most. Sometimes one can add an external antenna, and any  kind of wire  and length should do. Try it out and see what you think. Even play with directions (like which way you point the antenna) if you want to.

            Most people think of antennas with radios and TV's. TV's use a lot more electricity than radios, in general.  So there will probably be more radio signals than TV signals during hard times. As to cell phones, nobody really knows how that might sort out during hard times, so I don't depend on using them. If they work, so much the better.

            Antennas can also be used to transmit radio waves. Now there is where some knowledge and training helps. Basically the lengths, shapes, and other such things often help get the signal out better, be it in one direction or all -around. There are a zillion internet links and college level degrees on this subject, too.  I would also commend any Scout or military manuals, and for the more advanced people try out any technical manuals, to include HAM radio manuals.  One will often have to decide whether to think in metric or English for lengths, too.

            As for me, mostly I want to gather news and weather forecasts, so I am pretty much one who is a listener.  Some entertainment, mostly music, is also of interest. Even old radio shows were enjoyable to listen to, also. This is so important to me, I plan on using battery powered radios with batteries I can recharge using the sun or water power. And listening doesn't use much electricity, again in general.

            During my Marine time, I was often a sender of radio waves, and there some knowledge and prior training about antennas was to my advantage. Plus transmitting does use more electricity than does simple receiving of radio signals, and I planned on it.

            Now big speakers do use more electricity than small speakers or earphones, but that is another subject.

            There won't be a test on any of this, either.

 

No comments: