Translate

Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Beef and dumplings



Beef and dumplings

I suspect most of us have heard of chicken and dumplings as a food we eat.
So yesterday morning I decided to make beef and dumplings while I was at the local grocery store.
And I had to wait a day to make it for myself.
My intent was to go generic, vice going exotic, like making deer chunks and dumplings at the Hemlocks; or even using another heat source, like my wood cooking stove. I just wanted to make food to eat using my own electric slow cooker.
I have lived at places in rural South Carolina where a nifty super bowl party often included two or three cooked possums, for example. And the local grocery store still carried chicken legs, like the real thing, to prepare and eat.  A lot of people still eat these kind of things in the USA. And having been overseas, there are even more exotic things millions of people eat, too. So I know and have different standards.
So, and being in America, I compromised with what I could get at the local grocery store. I used already prepared: beef broth, chopped green peppers, chopped white onions, chopped vegetables for soup, and of course ground black pepper.  Then I added already made dough that I did tear up some, and of course some beef stew meat already chopped up at the local meat market inside of the grocery store. And I seldom buy any kind of beef these days, but in fairness the grocery store did not carry already chopped up pork meat, for example, and I was not willing to both ask them to do it, and even take the time to wait for the task to get done. Now they did already have ground pork sausage, but that is not what I was seeking.
And what I don’t eat, I am confident the yard dogs will eat tomorrow on top of their own dried dog food. Nothing goes to waste around the Hemlocks.

No comments: