Translate

Wednesday, December 25, 2013

One consequence of unilateral disarmament


One consequence of unilateral disarmament

       We can't defend ourselves and our Country in the near future

One can look at things short term to long term. That's what I would do. At least I have some experience to add to my own smarts and education, too.

So here is an opinion, my thoughts and perspective, so to speak.

That I grew up in the D.C. area is inconsequential, at least to me. I would think the same no matter where I live today.

The present federal leadership group  is inclined to unilaterally disarm the USA, mostly for their own reasons and education and political thoughts. And in fairness, the USA was naturally an isolationist country in the past upbringing of so many, and less so in the present.

Now in the present many people are probably going to die early because of the consequences. Mostly it will be our American children.

I object for two main reasons.

First, I just want to be nationally defended, period. Even President Truman learned the adverse consequences of unilateral disarmament during his time in political power.

Second, I want to be able to man our defense force in the future.

Yep, some will probably die early and for good cause. It is when our children die early because of poor leadership that I then object.

The present course our federal leaders are on is not to anticipating these past thoughts and experiences.

The obvious example is funding. If they don't want to pay for national defense, as often as it seems wasteful to many, just say so, and then we can try do something about the consequences of the judgment. At least, we the people, get a choice.

The less obvious decision is how we man our future national defense force.  With nine years of recruiting and retention experience, I understand while we may recruit an American, we retain his or her Family. Now many of these incentives are being changed in the wrong direction, and the consequences include returning to a universal military draft in the next decade or so. Is that what we want? Is that we voted for? Was it even discussed?

At least we had a national debate and discussion before we went to the present all-volunteer force around four decades ago.

No comments: