Translate

Thursday, October 03, 2013

The "creeping" method for adjusting the RAM finally worked OK today


The "creeping" method for adjusting the RAM finally worked OK today

               I recently returned from the RAM, and it is still pumping water after 24 hours which is my goal. This has been going on since I did another adjustment yesterday, which looked an awful lot like an earlier setup which had been working for years. Sometimes the whole is greater than the sum of the parts, or so it seems as regards the RAM setup. And sometimes restarting means getting the PSI up, which often takes days...very un-American for the impatient.

            Yet, once a male, always a male I guess.  So I stuck with the creeping method vice an over and short method, and am happy right now. I'll go back tomorrow to check the RAM again.  Later, I will make sure the water tank is overflowing. Ah, nothing like a systems engineering project that applies to me and often takes days to verify to my satisfaction.  And bummer, too, since I get to live with the results, which are sometimes poor and disappointing.

            As a quick reminder, a RAM is an 1879 English design (although the Hemlocks uses the 2002 version), and it is basically an ingenious gravity powered pump.

            And it is also personally nifty having priorities and objectives, which helped me when we lost public electricity for 5 hours a while ago. So not having electricity is a pain in the tail, but at least the Hemlocks  had clean water, a waste water setup, a forest full of wood, and many MRE's and much other foods  which were OK to me.

             I am still confident my Ft. Sill instructor would still down grade me for using the creep method vice the over and short method. In my defense, I would probably claim the Hemlocks defense, like how a RAM works and how to shoot artillery are two different things.

            In the perfect world, I would always buy best low and sell best high, which never happens. Even in marathon running talk,  I would finish the run with a little steam left, although many might say to finish perfectly,  that seldom happens. I suspect many have seen people fail with cramps in the final stages, as my example.

            So  I'll accept the basic RAM performance as a start point. Said another way, the clean spring  water is coming out of the ground anyway, so why not collect and use it for human purposes? My ancestors did, and now it is my turn.

1 comment:

just a marine said...

Just checked it about two hours ago, and it is still pumping just fine