Translate

Friday, October 04, 2013

Hi/Low-Tech Washing Machine & Wringer


Hi/Low-Tech Washing Machine & Wringer

       Here's an almost 8 minute YouTube link on the subject:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k405br7_Wto

            It is by a Mormon couple who had a child go to Mexico.

Poster's comments:

1) As a Marine I have washed clothes even lower tech than in the above link. And it worked OK. Generally , we might wash clothes once a month. In my case, I had access to water and soap, and used a plastic trash can. The first time using the otherwise clean trash can was to wash, and the second time was to rinse. Wringing was by hand, and drying was by clothes line.

2) In the interim, there's nothing wrong with everyone stinking together, which usually means we don't smell each other. Even using moist baby wipes helped in a lot of ways, usually in the armpit and crotch areas, and after bathroom stuff, too. My Family from the USA mailed these moist baby wipes to me.

3) In the warm season, consider the use of ponds and streams, too.

4) In the absence of soap, just a good rinse works well in getting out the smell of sweat, etc., in our clothes. And the very primitive way of beating the dirt out of the clothes can be used, too.

5) Remember, one doesn't have to clean 100% of the dirt and smell. Anything around 75% is pretty good, to me. Even 50% is better than nothing.

6)  Consider drying clothing under overhead cover if the weather outside is poor. Even a covered porch is better than just out in the open.

7) I figure I am as smart and practical as a Mexican who has to do these kind of things routinely.

8) Presently, I still have my plastic trash can, a 35 gallon galvanized bucket, a high tech manual plunger like in the video, and a wringer that fits the tub. But in the end, just having a stick to stir things around is OK, too.

9) I have never as a Marine had an insect infestation, like bed bugs. But one can even fight them with simple things. In my case I use diatomaceous earth (DE). Usually, the once a month or more placing of the bedding in the sunshine usually does the trick. Said another way, there is no need to wash in this usual case.

 

No comments: