Translate

Thursday, October 03, 2013

Era of profanity in movie scripts



     Here's one link on the subject: http://movies.stackexchange.com/questions/1786/era-of-profanity-in-movie-scripts

         

Poster's comments:

1) At age 65 I can remember when there was little to no cursing or using bad language in a movie.

2)  To me, I remember when bad language was reintroduced to the movies in a routine way.  It was in a western movie with Burt Lancaster (as I recall), and I agreed with the idea as making sense because I believed most everyone spoke this way, like cursed now and then. The movie was around the late 1960's, and I was in college at the time.

3)  Now being an old Marine with a lot of Navy exposure, I think I know a "lot" about cursing...speaking for myself, of course.

4)  My sense is that a lot of cursing in today's movies is not typical of the population overall, but I really don't know for sure. It seems just too much and contrived, to me. And if some people really curse this much, they are probably a minority of the overall population, or so I hope.

5)  I remember one line about cursing. It implied I could not express myself otherwise. That always hurt my feelings.

6)  I still think movies are for my enjoyment.  So if there is too much violence, cursing, or even sex, then more often than not I won't enjoy the movie, and probably won't even attend the movie (like pay) if I listen to others, or even read the reviews. Plan B is to wait until it comes out on cable or satellite TV, and even then I will often "turn off" the objectionable scenes since I just don't enjoy them these days.

7)  If it takes some self-censorship, I'll probably understand. Heck we've done self-censorship in movies (at least while I've been alive) when it came to smoking, using seat belts, drinking and driving, and women are as strong as men, among other things.

No comments: