Translate

Wednesday, May 29, 2013



       Here's a link to a civil discussion on the subject: http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/344419/why-government-involved-marriage-anyway-kathryn-jean-lopez

            I came at this subject using the hard times premise. Basically boys and girls want to be married to each other as a general rule.  Usually they want to even start their own Family. And to me, marriage is a religious ceremony that I better plan for if times get hard. If times don't get hard, then I have better alternatives, like ask others to do the same thing.

            Now having been married to a female, I also recognize the involvement of government in marriage, and accept it.  What appealed to me were the perfunctory medical tests, as an example. Nobody I know wants to get married to an infected person.  And I also recognize the government has to collect taxes, like a marriage license. But in that vein, I also expect some benefit for my payment of a license fee. So for example, if I want to get married to an infected person, at least I know what I am doing. I am willing to pay for that.

            And I was thankful for government influence during divorce proceedings, too.

            Last, I understand that gay marriage is a popular discussion item in the USA news these days. My only suggestion is to get the government out of the discussion, and keep it in within the religion of your choice, and often probably your upbringing.  Anyway, it seems like the debate over gay marriage is a church problem, not a government problem. And after all, gay marriage is a small percentage of the overall marriages in all cases. That is a tough enough nut to crack.

            What a novel idea, like focus on the majority vice the minority as regards marriage. It's gonna happen anyway if times get hard. And if times do not get hard, it will also probably also happen, too. I just hope whatever sorts out is within religion, and not government. In the meantime, I'll just do my own thing and use my own standards I was raised with, and where I live, of course.

No comments: