Translate

Sunday, October 28, 2012


Selecting the best people
       The intent of this post is to question the process for selecting the best people for a position, be it a job or a even student slot at a school.
            I think to even ask such a question is probably politically incorrect to many people. Said another way, why question a policy and practice that has been going on for decades now.
            Now I understand, or at least think I understand, the intent of policies like affirmative action, and that is along the ideas of the diamond in the rough where people suppressed by past prejudice can blossom in higher positions of responsibility and judgment. And in theory, the community and the nation is better off for it.  Said another way, such policies are for the good of us all.
            Obvious positions that affect us all are positions like fireman, policeman, law student, and medical student; and up to federal positions like the military, CIA, and even elected positions.
            And I have personally observed the bitterness and frustration of people put in positions that are simply over their head. To me good health and self-respect are more important goals for my children than some nifty job.
            But I also recognize the need for the community and the nation to gain a benefit, too.
            So I question, using a connect the dots method, if we, as communities and a nation, are actually hurting ourselves in pursuit of these wonderful and often idealistic goals.  There's plenty of evidence to suggest this, as politically incorrect as it may be to even bring this question up.
            So like the intent of a mission statement, is the intent the individual, or the community and nation as a whole when we try select the best people? 

            Let me conclude with one personal story. I used to teach at an all black college in Atlanta, so I do know students desiring to improve themselves had good alternatives. Said another way, in this wonderful land I call the new world USA, we have many alternatives (schools in my example) to improve ourselves and prepare ourselves for professional growth, if we want to.

  
 

No comments: