Translate

Wednesday, September 05, 2012


Weather...forecasting, planning, and wishing

            Call this post "snake oil" if you would like.
            As for me I still think the global warming going on these days is more sun caused than human caused.  Now that may change in the next 20 years, but not right now, in my opinion.
            In my humble opinion, we humans still are not as big a deal as many may think or wish, and the sunspot cycles are good indicators.  The Danish studies going back many decades and my own studies going back to my GaTech days are the reasons why I think this way.
            The tip point will be more dependent on third world quality of life and their energy demand issues; and the more humans on earth, the more pronounced will be the effects.  I still remember a lecture in thermodynamics in the 1960's that speculated the effect on the earth of having two suns worth of energy raining down on the earth every day. Sun one was the sun, and sun two was all the energy  that comes from all the humans on the earth going about their ways. For example, more humans may mean growing more animals to eat, and that has impacts, too.
            Or look at night satellite photos of the earth, and you will see many bright spots in the middle of nowhere. These are often just gas burn off areas from oil production. Even in Saudi Arabia, I could feel the heat from them as far as one kilometer away (about 2/3 of a mile), so we are dumping a lot of energy into our atmosphere already. Now a lot of that gas energy could be collected and used, but not right now. And in fairness, a lot of it is poisonous to humans, like H2S gas.
            Now I even have a first cousin lawyer type who I think well of, to include he is both smart and well-educated. Well he just got back from a vacation in coastal Maine, and there the local lobster harvests are up, as well as the local ocean temperatures. He reported to me the locals all think it is do to human caused global warming.  Well I was not impressed by his report, though he was, I think.
            So this is my weather planning I am employing using my own judgment.  I think I am in for hard times up till around 2018 or so.  By that I mean the sunspot cycle suggests this. And by hard times I mean reduced growing seasons, reduced water tables, reduced rain, and more expensive food if you buy it. Then we will increasingly get more rain up to around 2023, and the problems that brings.
            Many of these problems are good problems to have.  All is not doom and gloom, especially if you plan ahead.
            And I wish the old status quo would go on forever, but I doubt that will happen.
            And the lobster bounty in Maine will end too, sometime. Remember, at one time hundreds of years ago, lobsters (and many fish) were considered a trash type seafood product, and often even used for fertilizer on farms along the Atlantic seaboard area.
            Yep, there is a lot going on these days, weather speaking. Sounds normal, to me. Nobody says life is going  to be easy.

No comments: