Translate

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Talking about political freedom too often means talking past each other

One usually learns the hard way when military communications is “down” between two points; half the time the problem is on my end. So be careful when asserting it is always the other end that is screwed up. Sometimes it is on my end.

The lesson in life from this story seems an appropriate reminder when one reads things like “worst in history”, “shut down GITMO his afternoon”, or so and so “has made everyone in Britain a prisoner”. Having lived in the third world, my definition of political freedoms is pretty basic. So I am astonished at the naivety and intemperance of those who make these seemingly absurd claims. Let them move overseas and experience some of what they claim goes on here at home I say. That’ll show ‘em.

And then I remind myself of the communications story preceding, and check to make sure the problem is not on my end. This is a stretch for going the extra mile, or even turning the other cheek, but problem solving is part of how I am made. That is just how my stick floats. And yes I know there is a certain percentage of the population that just is set in their spoiled ways. I also know there are a larger number of American citizens who will listen and debate if I can set up the communications. This approach, of course, assumes this large group can’t recognize the communication problem might be on their end. I will have to live with this.

Just going to Wikipedia on the subject of “political freedom” will bring up a nice academic discussion of the subject. Reading this says a lot, that is, there are many ways to talk past each other on this subject. There are freedoms of assembly, association, bearing arms, education, movement, press, religion, speech, thought, intellectual, and sex. The entire article can be found through this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_(political)

Thinking this way has a purpose. In the upcoming 2008 elections, the great middle of the voting population is also the largest group of voters, the “independents”. Now this is a group who will listen to ideas, especially those in the National interests. And there is a technique in presentations that will help many in the discussion of American political freedoms, or any discussion for that matter. It is called “repeating the question or statement” to the person who made it, and then “asking them if I understood correctly?” This technique will do wonders in closing the communications gap on both ends. And hopefully, it will return voted political power to those better suited to wield it in the National interests.

No comments: