Translate

Thursday, February 01, 2007

Group rights

Being a child of the 60’s I never thought I could write an article like this. After all the USA and our cultural revolution was about individuals and being right. It was a well intentioned national policy in our acceptance. Along the way, some people abused their privilege. Sounds normal, now that I am older. But does anarchy work for us as a group? Of course the answer is no. But more to follow.

The recent media reports about the stupid and failed Turner media campaign in Boston is what prompts this article. What I find most appalling is one of the 20-something year old guys arrested who wanted to talk about his haircut (extra long dreadlocks). It was as if this whole thing was about his hair and not the threat to good order and discipline. Thank goodness he and his friend got arrested for violating our Group Rights, in Boston civil law talk. And just who hired him and his buddy?

For the last 40 or 50 years, we as a society seem to have been focused on individual rights. I think the intentions have been well intentioned. Our intents to make a more perfect society have been honorable. Along the way, we lost our path.

Group concepts such as security, economic opportunity, and equality for all cultures have faded, though founded in our Constitution and our cultural belief in the rule of law.

Let the Boston politicians be the catalyst for change in our societies treatment, and even balancing, of the public good vs. individual rights. Let the publicity roll. Let this be another revolt!

You decide. I have.

3 comments:

seejanemom said...

I adore your strong and able voice.Perhaps it is my soft spot for a Marine. I married he very best one, but you are a fine VIRTUAL Devil Dog.

I would urge you to keep your voice singular and focused on your one essay a day. It is what I choose as a format and I have been very surprised at how mush folks like it. I respond to comments with my edit button to keep the comment count true, and readers like the discourse, returning many times a day to follow the conversation.

Please drop by my place. I found you at RCP (that place is like crack, no?) I intend to blogroll you as a fellow new blogger and Marine hero.

Thank you for your CONTINUED service to this country. The New Media is a cresting wave, so wax your board and let's shoot this curl together!

just a marine said...

Domo

just a marine said...

Domo